The Garage: Custom Bases – Version 1

The GarageI have been thinking about miniature bases. It is an odd thing to think about, but I want to do a thematic force for a future project. I try to theme my bases now, but I wanted to try something a little more bold than just simply using a combination of modeling sand, flock, and static grass. The project for the bases is very back burner at the moment, but I had some down time while I was waiting on stuff to dry during the current Sylvaneth project, so I gave it a go. img_8024I had made simple tile bases before, so I decided to start there. I used a rubber stamp from Happy Seppaku; they have a huge variety of different stamps to choose from; everything from tile to swamps. Anyways, I used the Herringbone Brick as it reminds me of old world brick roads.img_8023I just dip the stamp in a bowl of water and then press it into a very thin sheet of Super Sculpey that I have rolled out. Follow the directions and you end up with sheets of hardened clay that look like the ones in the pictures.img_8022I forget why, put a long time ago, I purchased a box of loose resin bricks from Green Stuff World. I figured between the two materials I could make bases that looked like long dead ruins.img_8021The idea was to make them look almost like they had sunk back into the earth, in my mind a desolate wasteland.img_8018After gluing the bricks and the formed clay to the bases, I added sand to them as well to represent them getting absorbed back into the wastelands.img_8026I went with black primer because I was going to try to use different washes to add the coloring and depth. I did a heavy drybrushed on the models with P3 Cryx Bane Highlight a warm grey color.img_8027I then hit the with bases with a heavy Drybrush of Trollblood Highlights. I did this to make sure that everything was light enough to take the washes and be tinted by them.img_8028Next, I hit them with the washes I hit them with two times. The stones got the GW Greenshade and the dirt got Seraphim Sepia.img_8029After it dried, I felt the brick was two dark, so I hit the herringbone stone with a quick drybrush of P3 Jack Bone.img_8030The finished base looked okay. However, it is a long process and I feel I could do it quicker and better another way.img_8065The other base also turned out okay. I do like it even less. I used Earthshade on them and drybrushed Vallejo Leather. I put the bricks to close together and I put to many of them.img_8066So, to sum it up? The bases are okay. I like the idea and will build upon it, but the next batch, I am going to put less road and brick on it and more desert/wasteland and maybe add some grass tufts. I will also paint the coloring on it and not use the washes to paint.

That is all for now, so until the next post…Magilla signing off…


2 thoughts on “The Garage: Custom Bases – Version 1

    1. Thanks. I didn’t like mine this time, but it did give me some ideas for the next time. Hopefully, you will share your work, and maybe it will give me ideas as well.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s